[TYPO3-core] RFC: removing symlinks - Report

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Feb 13 18:45:17 CET 2006

Hi René,

> Tarball is available for download here:
>
> http://213.133.99.19/~dl/typo3_src-CVS-4-0-20060213-01.tar.gz

Thanks for that, I've tested it and had a look at the changes you've made.

> BTW I forgot to mention
>  typo3/sysext/cms/tslib/media/
> which still needs to be copied or symlinked if needed.
>
> I for myself do not use a /media/ folder at all. The changes I made
> reference to the media folder using the path to the cms extension.

Patch comments:

New index.php and showpic.php:
I suggest to move the check for a manually defined $configured_tslib_path to
the top so that people can force it to point to some other location.

Additionally, I would like to see a variable used instead of the PATH_tslib
constant. Instead, define it right before index_ts.php is included.

Reason: As far as I remember, checking for constants is much slower than
checking for variables. I think Bernhard did some speed checks about this
some time ago...

So then, this check should be some milliseconds faster:
+if (PATH_tslib=='') {
+       die('Cannot find tslib/. Please set path by defining
$configured_tslib_path in '.basename(PATH_thisScript).'.');
+}

One more thing to mention:
In the past we used two symlink in t3lib/fonts/ that mapped arial.ttf to
nimbus.ttf and verdana.ttf to vera.ttf which are both free. I changed these
fonts everywhere before 3.8.0 but it could still be that someone uses
t3lib/fonts/arial.ttf in his template.
Dropping them completely is fine with me, but this should be mentioned once
again in the changelog.

I have tested the new version on my testsite in BE as well as the FE. The
admin panel didn't find some icons, and two javascript files had wrong
paths. I have fixed that but please have another look if the changes are
ok. If you don't commit this right now, I can still do it later...

Finally: +1 for removing all symlinks.

Regards, michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out