[TYPO3-core] RFC: removing symlinks - Report

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Feb 13 13:19:56 CET 2006

Hi René,

just a few questions:

> Disadvantages:
> - Extensions with hardcoded paths might be broken when symlinks are not
> used. This can be fixed by just using the symlinks.
> - BE extensions that use t3lib/gfx/ instead of gfx/ needs to be changed
> when symlinks are not used.
> - When using the symlinks, one symlink is different: t3lib/gfx/ needs to be
> linked to typo3/gfx/

I can live with that. The most important extensions will care to fix that very
quickly (in fact, they can already do that now).

> # copied gfx/fileicons/ to tslib/media/fileicons/ for FE usage

tslib/ or typo3/sysext/cms/tslib/?

> # added tslib/media/miscicons/ and copied following icons there
> (these are used by tslib_cObj and by media/scripts/)

Please name it "icons_misc" instead of "miscisons".

> # changed indexed search to use media/flags/flag_*.gif

Same here: You mean typo3/sysext/cms/tslib/media/... right?

> # added index.php and showpic.php to root dir which include
> tslib/index_ts.php and tslib/showpic.php

Dito.

(It would be great to see a patch (or an archive of the full source) that
includes all your changes, so that we can already test it...

Rest is all fine.

> - update docs and scripts that are related to symlinks because gfx/ is now
> in typo3/ and not in t3lib/

Will take care of that.

> That's it. Into CVS or not? Other comments?

Not yet, I'd like to test it first...

- michael