[TYPO3-core] RFC: removing symlinks

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Sun Feb 12 13:58:46 CET 2006

René Fritz wrote:

> For a long time the usage of symlinks was discussed and I think a version
> number 4.0 might be the right time to remove them. In fact they are not
> really needed.

My only objection is:

Currently I am developing by having one working installation. In this installation there
are a lot of test TS snippets and other stuff.

Whenever I test some core patch or create one I make a copy of the TYPO3core cvs directory
(and another one for later "diff") and call the create_symlinks.sh script in the TYPO3core.copied
directory.

Then I copy over the global extensions (I know I could do this also with a symlink) and then
I just change the "main" typo3_src symlink from my testsite directory (dummy dir) to the source
in question.

If I want to test different version I simply have to change the main symlink each time ... no
other steps needed.

Also updating an existing installation is far more easier with symlinks than replacing this and that
directory with the new sources.

I would really be sad to see this feature go away. Wouldn't it be just possible to strip away all unneeded
directories like tslib (set PATH_tslib correctly to sysext/cms/) and others but keep the "major switch" symlink
typo3_src => ../typo3_src-v.v.v

I can't think how this could be possible without having t3lib be a smylink to typo3_src/t3lib/ .... ??

greets,
Bernhard