[TYPO3-core] RFC: alphabetically sorted TS tree in TS Object Browser

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Dec 12 12:00:40 CET 2006

Ingmar Schlecht wrote: on 12.12.2006 11:46:

> (I've tested the patch, +1)
>
> ---
>
> This is a SVN patch request

> When using the TS Object Browser to configure TYPO3 it is especially
> time consuming in long lists like under plugin.tt_news to find a certain
> property because the list is not ordered alphabetically.
> Having the list of properties sorted alphabetically will increase
> usability and reduce time spent looking for a certain property.

I think this is not a problem of sorting, but a problem of organization
of configuration settings. The extension author should organize its
settings semantically using "sub-categories".

So I am against ordering alphabetically by default. Because I want to
have "userPid" together with "storagePid" or something like that,
because they are semantically related. Sorting that alphabetically makes
no sense in my opinion. If you are looking for a specific setting, you
can always use the search function (of your browser or from the
TS-object browser itself).

If the extension author has many options and is lazy to group them
together semantically, he can always sort them alphabetically in their
static template, which is probably the "default" order that is displayed
in the OB.

So -1 from me.

Cheers,
Ernesto