[TYPO3-core] RFC: performance enhancement for BE

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Tue Aug 29 11:08:10 CEST 2006

Hi!

This is SVN patch request.

Problem: BE has many images. They are static (not changing). Default
installation does nothing to cache them on the client side. This puts
caching task to the browser (== to check if image is modified and reload
it if necessary). At least MSIE does this badly - it always reloads
every image in the BE causing a lot more traffic than necessary and
taking resources from httpd process.

Solution: put .htaccess files to several places to the BE with special
instructions to cache images and css from t3skin. Exact places are:
- typo3/gfx (all BE default icons)
- sysext (mainly impacts t3skin and rtehtmlarea - huge improvement in
rte loading time!)
- sysext/t3skin/stylesheets (caches only styles)
All .htaccess files define FileETag to MTime+size which is good enough
and works on all file systems. They also check if mod_expires installed
and set expiration of cache to 7 days from the current time. This will
cause "If-modified-since" header from the browser and "Not modified"
response from the server, which is much faster than normal request/response.

This patch is tested for a couple of weeks in the installation with
several editors. No one complained but people said that BE works faster now.

Patch is attached.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
http://typo3bloke.net/