[TYPO3-core] RFC: TCA Sections

Franz Holzinger franz at fholzinger.com
Tue Apr 25 23:31:02 CEST 2006

Hello Bernhard,

>Currently sections are availble by default when you use Flexform - they are also known
>as "Repeatable content element" ...
>
>I implemented this feature for traditional SQL tables instead of XML by using a
>1:n relation which currently is not really used/implemented in TYPO3 - of course there
>are things like comma-separated lists but those are suboptimal for the task.
>

>>- If you want to introduce a "parent" field so records can be  children
>>of other records, just like all records has "pid" field  connecting it
>>to a page: This I can only allow as long as the usual  "pid" field is
>>the authoritative pid and the "parent" field is just a  standardized way
>>to point out a field that is a parent pointer. Such  a thing could be
>>used to make the Web > List module able to display  eg. a category table
>>as a tree.
>>

>I made the name of the "parent" field configurable via the 'ctrl' section of the table which
>shall get used as section (*ups* I think I missed to document that - will update docs right
>after this mail)
>

> 'sectionParentField' => array (
> 'tx_kbnntpif_messages' => 'msgparent',
> 'tx_kbnntpif_message_parts' => 'partparent',
> ),

I would prefer if you made a
'parentField' => array('tx_kbnntpif_messages' => 'msgparent',
'tx_kbnntpif_message_parts' => 'partparent');
And the rest in something like 'section' => ...

So the parentField could be generally used for other tables, too. And a
tree could then be built also without any needs for TCA sections.

>With MM you can have
>
>Main Record   Sub Record
>123           344
>123           655
>123           576
>321           576
>
>As you see the last sub-record (576) "could" get assigned to two different main
>records - and that should not be an option.
>

>(AFAIK those are really called N:M not M:M ...  M:M would suggest that both elements of the relation
>MUST have the same number of realtions - which is not true - N:M shows up that left/right part of
>the relation can have different amount of related elements

I do not think so. M stands for 1 - M. N:M and M:M means the same thing.

Greets,

Franz