[TYPO3-core] the installer

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Wed Apr 19 09:35:55 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow <michael at underused.org> writes on
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:45:54 +0200 (METDST):

> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
> > Great, but could we discuss the issues and the solutions before you
> > start enthusiasticly on your task.
>
> Yep, but where and when? Is there another R&D meeting planned?

I don't know. We could discuss it here, on typo3.dev or you could make an R&D meeting. In the latter case I'd like to send my suggestions to the board.

> > Again, could we discuss such changes like adding a new concept to
> > TYPO3 first?
>
> It was discussed a lot in the ECT group, but I agree that we should
> somehow get this sorted out.

ECT = ?

> I agree that we need a register for localconf settings, why not use
> TCAfor this, as it offers all the necessary stuff for definining
> settings.

Flexforms are TCA in XML. But TCA is as I see it structly DB orientated, so the more intuitive interface is IMHO the XML of flexforms.

> So basically, all we need to do is map every setting to a view
> (database, graphics, users, output, etc.) and display those views,
> like in Windows or Mac OSX system settings.

Yes, for the "edit all options" page. But I like the "wizard" like stuff of the image options. Only the options should NOT be scattered in "basic" and other useless settings, but available in the "image wizard". The same is true for DB settings.

And we need more auto-detecting (like the GD version, etc).

Oh, and I'd add the charset to the 1-2-3 installer. a) you can f** up your data if you set forceCharset to late and b) the installer could try to set sane DB options for the charset or create the DB with the real thing (instead of simpyl creating ut in the DBs default charset).

> The controller itself is rather trivial and adds no functionality to
> the install tool. It's only meant to make the code more concise, so
> that we can concentrate on the functions without needing to worry
> about sessions, get/post params and the like...

Fine. Maybe thise classes could be added to the installer as a kind of test bed. When they work well they could be moved to t3lib (or perhaps a new lib dir: t3ng).

Masi