[TYPO3-core] Fixing no-brainers?

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Mon Apr 10 14:26:00 CEST 2006

Hi folks,

I'm sorry, I can't actively join your discussion at the moment, but I follow
it at least. I have a few short comments:

On Monday 10 April 2006 12:08, Michael Scharkow wrote:

 > The difficulty is that refactoring TYPO3 core is hard without proper
 > unit tests. Adding unit tests for 500-line-functions is more work than
 > writing the damn thing from scratch using the current code as a spec only.
 > Even Robert and Kasper have agreed that some components are too complex
 > to maintain (think workspaces on top of the already-heavy TCEstuff).

Yes, I think it is generally agreed already that we'll replace the whole TCE
by something new for 5.0.

 > > But do you really think that everythings lost in 5.0?
 >
 > No, but I think a roadmap that demands UI and usability changes *first*
 > and after that complete rewrite of the core, is essentially prone to
 > wasting developers' time and effort.

That's an important point. The plan is that we start development of 4.5 and
5.0 at the same time. There will be different teams working on either version
and for 5.0 most of this year will be dedicated to architectural planning
with the goal to release a prototype of the inner 5.0 core end of this year.

The general idea is: "Architecture team" and "Core team" (meant are those who
develop the 5.0 core) start working on 5.0 while the "Backend team" works on
4.5. After 4.5 is released the Backend team joins the 5.0 development and
creates a reference backend while the Core team continues with the core
implementation.

As I said, I'm not ready yet entering that discussion but after Easter I will.

My opinion about the release cycle, version numbers etc:

  - upgrading of the core with a dev version jump should be - as some already
    pointed out - very easy and just a matter of changing the symlink.
    Theoretically an admin should be able to automate that so all his
    installations get upgraded for 4.0.1, 4.0.2, etc.

  - the 4.x branch must be supported for a long time as it is the last
    major version which runs with PHP4. I suggest to always provide security
    fixes for the branch of the previous minor release (3.8 in our case).
    The jump to 5.x will be a special case and I agree with Michael Scharkow
    that 4.x and 5.x will live together for quite a while even with new
    features added to 4.x.

Well, so for my short comments ....

Have a nice Monday!

robert