[TYPO3-core] Remaining steps to final - RC3 on Sunday

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Sun Apr 2 13:38:02 CEST 2006

Hi guys,

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
>     * Karsten: EM should ignore dependencies on weird version numers
>       such as 0.0.2

Karsten, what's the status on this?

>     * Upgrade wizard usability must be improved (it needs at least
>       someone looking over it and improving the descriptions and labels
>       to make clear what the update wizard actually does and
>       does not do)

Does anyone want to do this?

I think at the moment the update wizard is a bit of a mess usability wise...

Just to give people a hint where to start:
The update wizard *does not do anything* apart from setting
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['compat_version'] to "4.0", but I think it
appears to be more than that, and that might confuse users.

The term "Update wizard" sounds like something that does everything that
is needed for updating TYPO3 (i.e. it sounds like it would also do the
MySQL table COMPARE).

This wrong impression is even intensified by the fact that the update
wizard has a checkbox "Show Database queries performed", which does not
do anything but confuse the user, because the update wizard doesn't even
execute a single SQL query.

Just to explain why this checkbox is there, it is necessary to
understand that the update wizard was meant to be used for more than
it's used for at the moment. It was for example meant to do things like
converting pages of the page type "Not in menu" to "normal" pages having
the "Not in menu" flag set.

But in 4.0 the Update Wizard does only one thing: Setting the
TYPO3_CONF_VARS variable SYS[compat_version] to the current TYPO3
version, which could just as well be done in the "all configuration"
section of the install tool. The only advantage of setting the
compatVersion with the updateWizard instead of setting it in all
configuration, is that the user has to check the checkboxes for all
changes ("I know that I need to ajust my stylesheet, etc.") like users
saying yes to terms and conditions during online shopping.

Here is a (german only) mail Sebastian sent to me some time ago:

Sebastian Kurfürst wrote:
> Hallo,
> ja, wir brauchen sowieso update-notes. Allerdings finde ich es recht
> sinnvoll, wie es im Moment mit dem Update Wizard und der compatVersion
> gelöst ist... Das sollte dem User Arbeit abnehmen, und ich denke es
> funktioniert. Warum sollte man es ändern?
> Es ist doch sinnvoll, direkt vor nem Upgrade alle notwendigen
> Änderungen zu sehen!
>
> Ingmar Schlecht schrieb:
>> > Der Update-Wizard war ja ursprünglich eh für andere Dinge gedacht, als
>> > das Ändern einer Variablen in typo3conf/localconf.php (was anderes ist
>> > ja das Ändern der Compatversion nicht, auch wenn's im Moment kompliziert
>> > aussieht).
> Nein, der Upgrade-Wizard war _auch_ für andere Sachen gedacht, aber
> ich habe ihn auch in Hinblick auf die compat-version programmiert.
>
>> > Aber so richtige Update-Wizard-Anwendungen haben wir in 4.0 scheinbar
>> > gar nicht (von der unfertigen/nicht gebrauchten Not-In-Menu-Pages
>> > Konvertierung mal abgesehen), möglicherweise kann er dann sogar wieder
>> > aus 4.0 vorläufig entfernt/auskommentiert werden.
> Ich würde eher das zu ende führen und diesen Pagetype aus dem TCA
> raushauen! Das hab ich auch an der entsprechenden Core-Mail
> geschrieben, aber darauf gab es keine Reaktion. Ich finde jetzt wo wir
> den wizard haben, können wir ihn doch auch benutzen?
>
> Viele Grüße,
> Sebastian

So I hope people now understand what needs to be done, and I hope one of
you will do the job. I think it's simple, it just needs some better
labels and descriptions here and there.

If no-one does it, I propose to remove (i.e. comment out) the update
wizard from the install tool and let people set the compatVersion using
install tool all-configuration with a description like that:

"Here you can configure TYPO3 to run in a compatibility mode to an older
TYPO3 version. Set this to e.g. 3.8 to make TYPO3 output content like it
did in version 3.8. If you want to use the latest features, set it to
4.0. For details on what changes in what version, have a look at
wiki.typo3.org/some_wiki_page".

Than at least people wouldn't be confused about what the update wizard
and compatversion actually do.

cheers,
Ingmar