[TYPO3-core] Zapping the Gremlins

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Oct 19 15:13:06 CEST 2005

Hi there,

most of you know that we (Bernhard Kraft, Sebastian Kurfürst and me) are
currently sorting out the most famous Gremlins.

There are currently 100 Gremlins and we will continue the poll until tomorrow
(Thursday) so that we should have about 120 Gremlins finally.

Yesterday we have had a closer look at the current list and assigned what we
think is doable. We expect that we can work on 30-40 "Gremlins" but we would
really like have more of them zapped.

When the project was submitted, I asked the R&D team members (most of them are
core developers) if it would be ok if every one of you would have to pick up
two Gremlins and provide a solution for them. Since nobody inclined, I expect
that this has been accepted by all of them.

I admit that I only asked the R&D core developers and not the rest of the
team, so it is up to you if you help us or not. On the other hand it should
be fairly easy for all of you to work on just two issues which would result
in 24 (12x2) more zapped Gremlins.

The deadline for this task is November 23, so you have one month time for
doing this.

If you are not willing to help us, please send a mail to me for letting me
know. In that case you can stop reading here.

How to start:
If you log in on typo3.org (FE), you will find a new page in the navigation:
http://typo3.org/development/projects/zap-the-gremlins/gremlin-editor/

In this Gremlin editor, you can see some more details about the Gremlins:
- How much time has been spent on an issue
- Who is working on it
- Private comments

Additionally, you can see a "status legend" on the bottom of the page (watch
this because there are some "secret numbers", e.g. 2% means that we cannot
work on this Gremlin for some reasons.

What you need to do is to browse through the page and assign two Gremlins to
yourself. Watch the bugtracker reference that might contains some more
details about the issue.

How to zap:
Once you have made a patch that fixes the problem, you can submit it to the
core list for having it reviewed, just as usual.
After you have committed it to CVS, all you have to do is to change the status
to 100%, and you're done.

Thank you very much for your support!

Best regards
- michael

PS: Of course you can zap more of them! :-)