[TYPO3-core] Document hooks? (was: New hooks in TCEmain ->moveRecord)

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Wed Nov 16 15:31:14 CET 2005

Michael Stucki <michael at typo3.org> writes on
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:35:40 +0100 (MET):

> Hi Robert,
>
> > Hmm, without looking at the extension I'm still undecided if it
> > makes sense to document hooks at all.
> >
> > My cons against documenting hooks:
> >
> > - If you know where you want to hook in you easily find the hook

If you what to do you'll never need any docs.

> OK. Depending that every extension developer will need to register his
>
> extension - even if it is already registered, here are my pros then:
>
> - We know who depends on a hook if we once want to modify it
> - Developers could see that a hook is available exactly where they
> need it!
> - The hook will be well documented
> - Developers have a chance to find practical examples of how hook xy
> is used

Right. No documentation is no solution at all. If we donÄt want to document them we can go back to XCLASSes.

Remains the question of how? Simplest solution is to use Doxgen tag. Doxgen supports the generation of lists from tags found in the sources etc.

The current documentation lacks proper doc modules, etc but the function headers are a good start.

If we enhance the inline doc we can generate all the docs we want without magic TER extensions of our own.

Masi