[TYPO3-core] RFC: remove depreciated static items before 4.0 (bug#1804)

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Wed Nov 9 14:22:11 CET 2005

Michael Scharkow schrieb:
>>At the moment the static templates are in sysext/cms/.
>>Maybe it's worth moving them into a separate extension that can be
>>installed independantly. That extension they're moved into should ship
>>them with the exact same tables names they had before, so relations to
>>those tables don't break when upgrading to 4.0 and installing that
>>"static_templates" extension.
>

> I think that has been done some time ago, check
> http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/search/defaultstatic_tmpl/

Jepp, that's right, but it contains only site templates (like GLÜCK) but
not things like content(default).

Anyway: Removing static templates will break many installations. Without
an upgrade utility we can't do that.

That leads to another point: IMHO the Install Tool needs an "upgrade"
section where the user gets an overview of all that needs to be done on
a Core update: "Update required tables - COMPARE", "Dump static data -
IMPORT" and something like "Migrate wizard" that takes care of adopting
the TYPO3 installations to changes like the one this thread is about.

That means:
	-1 as long as the Install Tool doesn't have an "Update Wizard"
	+1 if someone makes such a wizard.

cheers,
Ingmar