[TYPO3-core] Important: CVS info / TYPO3_4-0 branch created

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Fri Dec 30 17:31:52 CET 2005

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Otto wrote:
>>IMHO the branch was created to early. The right moment would have been the
>>time we reach RC level. Then it would have been clear to every developer
>>that we also have a feature freeze.
>

> One thing that is really problematic now is that none of the problems
> discovered during the first day of Beta 1 will be fixed in HEAD until you or
> a delegate finds the time to merge the bug fixes back into HEAD. Which leaves
> us with a version in HEAD which currently does not work - but did work until
> christmas.

I agree with you that the branch should be created at the same time as
the RC and not earlier.

The question is what to do at this stage of the game.

Would it make sense to remove the branch again?

I think it's alright in this situation to just do everything in the 4.0
branch and say "sorry, next time we'll do it better" to people. Maybe
merge changes to 4.0 branch into HEAD once or twice, but since it's not
that much time until the RC comes out anyway, I think it's OK for people
to have a not-so-up-to-date and partly broken HEAD for a while.

cheers,
Ingmar