[TYPO3-v4] How to insert YouTube video in 4.7?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 23 14:09:04 CET 2012

Hi,

On 23-1-2012 7:51, Georg Ringer wrote:
 > Am 23.01.2012 06:56, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
 >> - we had a nice flash based video player without license issues which
 >> worked very well; what is the added value of FlowPlayer?
 >
 > it is closed and not extendable. better use something which people now
 > already, which gets developed further and can be used in far more
 > situations.

It is not closed, sources are included and it is written by a core
developer. No license issues, it can be modified as much as we want.

At least it works for the supported file formats and video sites, which
can't be said about FlowPlayer / HTML5 (the new media element).

 >> - how will we add support for all the video sites which are supported by
 >> the mediaWizardCoreProvider? Who will do this?
 >
 > you can provide your own providers if you want to by using a hook

YouTube, Vimeo, etc. are already supported by the
mediaWizardCoreProvider. As I said, the problem is not there, but in the
resulting HTML5 / FlowPlayer stuff.
HTML5 has limited video format/codec support (which also varies from
browser to browser) and doesn't support YouTube / Vimeo / ... URLs at
all. FlowPlayer doesn't support them either.

The conclusion must be that this wasn't properly tested before it was
merged.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.