[TYPO3-v4] The future of ExtJS 4 in TYPO3 4.7

Dominique Feyer dfeyer at ttree.ch
Fri Jan 13 01:58:38 CET 2012

Really sad news, and compilicated situation :(

We we start to integrate ExtJS in the backend, I was a bit afraid about
the "business model" of Sencha. They are not inspired to share, and
it's a proprietary framework with a community edition.

For a long term goal I agree with the idea to keep ExtJS for the widget
part, but switch to something else for the framework. And one of the
most important point for the choice of this framework, it's their
community and their opened mind. Maybe an other good point in this
selection is to use the same framework than Phoeinx … and prepare the
big jump/migration ;)

There's is a lots of interesting thing in the JS world currently
(Require.js, Backbone.js, Underscore.js, Ember.js) who look more
community oriented than Sencha.

For the short term solution, back to ExtJS 3.3 we need to think a lot
about the performance issues of using two major ExtJS version side by
side. Many client have invest money on complicated ExtJS backend … and
I don't think that they have the money to pay the migration to ExtJS4 …
but they are really interested by FAL per exemple.

Add 2 month to the deadline and try to have a FAL / Vidi on good stable
TYPO3 version.

Kudos for every dev who work on the migration project. Failing project
is part of life, we are not the first community in this situation.

Bests