[TYPO3-v4] The future of ExtJS 4 in TYPO3 4.7

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Thu Jan 12 10:49:09 CET 2012

Hey Olivier,

Am 11.01.12 17:46, schrieb Olivier Dobberkau:
> Am 11.01.12 16:47, schrieb Oliver Hader:
>
>> a) postpone the final 4.7 release a lot and hope things will get better
>>    - forward port all components to ExtJS 4
>>    - introduce a great backward compatibility layer for
>>      ExtJS 3 extensions
>>    - create documentation on how to use ExtJS 3 and ExtJS 4
>>      side by side
>>
>> b) revert the ExtJS 4 changes in the Git master branch of the TYPO3 Core
>>    - get back a stable TYPO3 4.7 with working Workspaces,
>>      Form Wizard and Recycler
>>    - accept the "collateral" fact that the work on ExtJS 4
>>      migration is lost, which means to disappoint developers
>>      who invested a lot of time in what already has been achvieved
>>    - find (better) alternatives for the mentioned "media" and
>>      "vidi" components
>>    - find alternatives to ExtJS in general in the long-term view -
>>      however, ExtJS is good for widgets, but not as a one-fits-all
>>      JavaScript solution
>
> Hi Olli and others,
>

> c) Ask Sencha if they can donate support for us.
>
> We had quite a good connection to them in the past and they should
> advise us and know before we drop ExtJS at all. (We did that with V5 in
> Summer and jumped the Sproutcore Bandwaggon. See the Status of
> Sproutcore & Ember.js: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SproutCore )
>
> Let me know if you need a contact at Sencha.

Thanks for your feedback on this and the offer to connect us directly to
responsible Sencha guys.

The plan is not to remove or drop ExtJS totally. We already have
components on the Core that rely on ExtJS and cannot easily be ported to
something else since it would turn into a complete rewrite. Thus, ExtJS
3 for sure will stay in the Core - but for TYPO3 4.7 we should not
integrate ExtJS 4 as the one-and-only framework (due to the earlier
mentioned facts of backward compatibility).

Cheers,
Olly
--
Oliver Hader