[TYPO3-v4] The future of ExtJS 4 in TYPO3 4.7

Kay Strobach typo3 at kay-strobach.de
Wed Jan 11 19:18:12 CET 2012

Hey guys,

just some thoughts after another hour.

Just to declare: I wrote a couple of extensions relying on ExtJS 3.

There some reasons for dropping ExtJS Support (long term):
 - Making smooth transition to Phoenix possible
 - Breaking Changes with every release
 - Time

Otherwise there are other reasons for taking advantage of ExtJS (3 or 4)
 - Governmental Projects like BLE, rely on Extjs (3 or 4)
 - Many Extensions rely on ExtJS (mostly 3)
 - As far as i understand Vidi it can be a rock solid basement for many
   modules:
     - everything what is list based
     - scheduler task management
     - listmodule
     - files / media
     - trash
 - projects like the dashboard rely on extjs 4

For the iframes i can think of a solution like this:

 - Change API of pagerenderer and add a hook which works as following:

  t3lib_pagerender::loadJSlib($libKey)

  then the function just checks if there is a registered object for
  that library and execute it to add the appropriate libs, this way we
  could use extjs 3 in frames and 4 in the top frame!
  (no words about speed ;)

Anyway we should take advantage of the mentioned Sencha support and tell
them where the Problems are!
I doubt the would notice if there would be a press notice like:

 - TYPO3 is dropping ExtJS Support, because of unstable API's

Regards
Kay

Answere was usefull: https://flattr.com/profile/kaystrobach