[TYPO3-v4] Deprecation of t3lib_div::testInt() in TYPO3 4.6

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Thu Nov 24 10:46:12 CET 2011

Stefan Neufeind schrieb am 23.11.2011 12:05:

>>> this is just the case if an extension wants to be supprted in 2 major
>>> versions at the same time with the same version!
>
> [...]
>
>> If we could figure out how this could be done in TER, we could even
>> backport this "feature" to 4.5, as it would make perfect sense
>> especially there.
>
> [...]
>
> Although you talked about "TER" in that paragraph the idea of
> "backporting" came to my mind. What prevents us to maybe make an
> exception for the special case of 4.5 LTS so that a next 4.5-version
> gets that special function in the utility-package as well so that
> ext-authors can migrate over their extension? If people really can't
> upgrade from 4.5 to 4.6 yet, maybe it would at least be possible to have
> them migrate to a recent 4.5-version.

The idea is interesting and I have thought about it.

It has two weaknesses:

1) it means that we add "new features" to a stable release. So
extensions would need to depend on patch-level release of TYPO3 ("only
works with TYPO3 4.5.11 or later"), which was is not allowed in our
policy ("extensions should not need to depend on certain patch level of
a release, as the minor release API is stable").

2) Other than that, where do we draw the line between what we backport
and what not. Every feature that was deprecated and *removed* in 4.5
(and 4.6) might have some new replacement which we "might want" in 4.5.

Since 3+ years is a lot of time, we could in future of course reconsider
and create certain special scenarios for 4.5 LTS (like a "service pack"
which would be allowed to enhance / add certain APIs to be more in line
with the "at that time current TYPO3").

Ernesto Baschny
Core Developer V4 Team
Release Manager TYPO3 4.5