[TYPO3-v4] Deprecation of t3lib_div::testInt() in TYPO3 4.6

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Nov 23 12:01:22 CET 2011

Georg Ringer schrieb am 23.11.2011 11:52:

> Am 23.11.2011 11:46, schrieb Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]:
>> I would love to see more support for "branches" in extension
>> development, so that the same rules and regulations that we have for the
>> core can also be applied with extensions.
>
> true but for me as extension developer not realistic.
>
>> I am pretty sure there are extension developers that *want* to support
>> multiple branches at the same time (especially a branch that works with
>> 4.5 LTS), but currently TER (and EM) lacks support of handling multiple
>> "valid" versions of the same extension (only the "last one wins").
>
> it is less the lack of ter/em but more lack of time to really implement
> things twice.
>
> it is like in core with older branches: it is already hard with the
> whole team to backbort bugfixes to 4-5

It's hard, but possible and the users will love it (and potentially even
pay you or someone to do it, if your extension is important for them).
If we had at least the possibility of this kind of professionalism in
extensions, I am pretty sure that lots of users would make use of it.

You (extension leader) can leave the "working with 4.5" version in TER
without backporting the bugfixes if you want. But maybe some other guy
steps in and pushes some important backported fix to your extension's
"4.5" branch and you *are* able to release a new version (if you want
to) - which is not possible right now. Or if you have a security issue
in the old version, and you don't want to make all users upgrade to the
"latest one" (which has tons of new features, different templates,
TypoScript, different hooks etc). Just release a sec-release for the old
branch => not possible today.

People might even pay you to keep support for a "stable 4.5 LTS
compatible version" of your extensions, but you don't have to clutter
your extension up with lots of switches. The latest one works only with
the latest TYPO3 core, which is nice and fine.

This is just a "vision", because it would require lots of changes to TER
*and* the EM, so I am just throwing that in to see if people would
appreciate it. Currently it's even, as only you expressed your opinion.
:) Let's see if we get more reactions.