[TYPO3-v4] Deprecation of t3lib_div::testInt() in TYPO3 4.6

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Nov 23 11:46:04 CET 2011

Georg Ringer schrieb am 23.11.2011 11:35:

>> Because there is a list of those wrapper functions a new extension is
>> born; another extension programmers library.
>
> this is just the case if an extension wants to be supprted in 2 major
> versions at the same time with the same version!
>
> extension authors still can just say version 1.0 > for 4-5 and use 2.0
> for 4-6 and develop only the new one.

I would love to see more support for "branches" in extension
development, so that the same rules and regulations that we have for the
core can also be applied with extensions.

I am pretty sure there are extension developers that *want* to support
multiple branches at the same time (especially a branch that works with
4.5 LTS), but currently TER (and EM) lacks support of handling multiple
"valid" versions of the same extension (only the "last one wins").

EM should load the "last one that is still supported by current TYPO3
version" that should win.

TER should allow to upload a new version of an older branch too.

This would avoid people having to add tons of TYPO3-core version
switches inside the extensions, and would allow more professional
extensions to pop up which have release cycles that make sense (a stable
branch, a development branch, a backwards compatibility policy etc).

If we could figure out how this could be done in TER, we could even
backport this "feature" to 4.5, as it would make perfect sense
especially there.