[TYPO3-v4] OT: Url shorteners

Thorsten Kahler [dkd] thorsten.kahler at dkd.de
Mon Feb 28 15:19:20 CET 2011

Hi Jigal,

Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 26.02.11 18:56:
> On 26-2-2011 11:56, Thorsten Kahler [dkd] wrote:
>> simply put the URL inside "<>" and it will be properly recognized by
>> all email clients:
>> <http://bugs.typo3.org/search.php?project_....=DESC&hide_status_id=-2>
>>
>> And it's not even necessary to urlencode it then.
>
> Unfortunately not:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=16300#c45497
>
> Even though characters like '[' are valid in URLs many mail clients
> don't seem to comply with relevant RFCs :-(

indeed Roundcube (and maybe other web mailers) have problems rendering
those links correctly so here's my RFC (request for compromise):

Neither "all mail clients" handle proper links properly nor "many mail
clients don't comply with relevant RFCs", but most will be able to
handle links properly. So if in doubt whether the URL might work for the
targeted audience it might be a nice addition to add a shortened URL.

Cheers
Thorsten

nitpick.off();

--