[TYPO3-v4] tcaTree in current trunk

Steffen Ritter info at rs-websystems.de
Sat Nov 27 11:04:25 CET 2010

Hey list,
you know we introduced tcaTree as a tree example in trunk.

Looking at the bugreports and pending patches, we see, that it has not
been such stable as we thought of. In the current state wer are not able
to ship this one with 4.5.
I really would like to see this fixed in in beta2 as I think it is a
great feature. It's a long step by step process where one step is based
on the other, because it is a about only three files which would have
been modified everytime and I do not get reviews "in time"...

I'm at the point that I cannot work further stuffs, since it would
depend on pending patches - and it is no external projekt but directly
in core svn.

That's why I currently see following possibilities for this feature:

1. drop it for 4.5
2. grant FYI rights on this very task
3. drop the idea of splitting it up in dozens of rcs and make one
monster rfc at the end (would anyone review this one)
4. develope it external and merge back like other projects do
5. stay as we are and decide before rc1 if we are "stable enough"
6. find a team working on this, which really does reviews - and at best:
yesterday

some thoughts about all that points:

1. i really like the feature so I would not like the idea, but would be
better than shipping current state.
2. would be transparent, and due to single rfc's easy to revert single
steps.
3. would be the fastest way, as i just could do all i want and resolv
several bugreports within one... would not be very transparent and it
would be hard to revert single point or track down errors to a single
changeset. Furthermore I fear noone would review a monster patch.
4. would be the same like 3. without review - might be good for external
teams - as I am a one man show I do not know if this makes sense (since
there is no "quality control" against each other)
5. i fear that this one would lead to one.
6. would be very nice but seems not realistic

Please let me know about your opinions about how to proceed with such
feature - especially the RMs and current "tcaTree" fans :)

regards

Steffen