[TYPO3-mvc] A plan for the future of Models in our favorite MVC

Claus Due claus at wildside.dk
Tue Jan 17 11:14:19 CET 2012

Hi Tim,

I see your point. It is my thinking that the ColumnProviders should be VERY light weight (fx only returning an array and doing a few if statements). They should be so light that a couple thousand calls to them should barely register. And of course it would still be cached: only if you explicitly request that a TCA column must be provided dynamically would the ColumnProvider be dynamic.

With that in mind I don't expect performance to be an issue. Perhaps a bit, when working in Development context, but barely noticable when changed to Production.

The point is that this slows down only the initial loading process and has almost no impact on Extbase's performance itself. If I can keep a full execution run of the Magic extension below about 100ms in Production context with around 10 moderately sized extensions installed then I'll be quite happy with the result. The number is arbitrary really, but around 100ms seems like a good and reasonable value to aim for with a medium-to-high work load.

If no dynamic TCA columns are used I expect performance to be very close to what we already are used to, only marginally slower.

But that being said perhaps it will also be possible to use some tricks to get a joinpoint-like behavior and minimize processing. I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers,
Claus