[TYPO3-mvc] A plan for the future of Models in our favorite MVC

Claus Due claus at wildside.dk
Sat Jan 14 23:41:10 CET 2012

Dear developers,

I have written a short (ok, let's be honest - medium) work paper about an extension that I have been playing around with in the back of my head for some time and recently got around to formulating into a (hopefully) coherent set of features.

Potentially (and again hopefully) this affects all of you. Very positively.

If you have a moment to spare - I estimate a 20 minute read if you really dwell on things - I would appreciate if you would read the article and discuss any points you may have with me here, in the Genius Bar of the Extbase store.

It is my hope that the proposed features will both help you in your daily development duties by taking care of all the small details - and also future proof you all a bit more as developers, for when the glorious FLOW3 time arrives and we all become immortal (if I read the manual right).

So without further ado, if that isn't already too late to say:

A Work Paper about Magic Extbase Models
http://fedext.net/overview/articles/workpaper-magic/

There's a call for contributors - really, team members - in there. The project is brand new but already I estimate a 30% completed status because I have some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to coding. Join me on the dark side and let us bring even more useful FLOW3 features over to Extbase!

Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

PS: I credit Stefan Neufeind with the final push in this direction by suggesting to me that Flux (for making Fluid FlexForms) could be integrated with Domain Object records. That thought rumbled around for a while until it collided with an earlier very unspecific thought about improving the TCA situation in Extbase and some more recent experience with the FLOW3 Admin package. Thanks a lot for the jump start, Stefan!

PPS: It's not called "stealing", it's called learning what good practices are and using them yourself. Without saying: thanks goes out to all the FLOW3 gurus and to Marcus Neuhaus (FLOW3 Admin author) from whom I stole - aharm learned - some great ideas  ;)

--
Cheers,
Claus