[TYPO3-mvc] help to n:m relation

Franz Koch typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de
Wed Feb 23 17:11:58 CET 2011

Hey,

>> what should be the result of this? Using IRRE like that doens't mean to
>> use a intermediate (MM) table.
>
> i want to use an intermediate table to store start and end dates (this
> student is in this university from 10-01-2010 to 08-31-2011 and in
> another one from 09-01-2011 to 08-31-2012)

ok - then you most likely don't just want to misuse a intermediate
table, but need a intermediate object.

>> Maybe you could explain how it's supposed to work and then I can tell
>> you which adjustments you have to take.
>
> In Frontend, i want to have a form like this :
>
> you name :
> your studies
> university1 : from : to :
> university2 : from : to :
>
> I know how to store the name (in table tx_student_list), I know how to
> create a selectbox with a list of universities (from table
> tx_university_list)) but I don't know how to save in the third table
> (tx_student_university with fields uid_local for uid_student,
> uid_foreign for uid_university, start, end)

As I said - in my eyes you need a intermediate object, probably like this:

Student
   -> name
   -> address
   -> memberships <Membership>

Membership
   -> university <University>
   -> from
   -> student <Student>

University
   -> name
   -> memberships <Membership>

Membership might not be the best name, but I think you get the point.
Having this structure you configure "memberships" to use IRRE setting
the correct 'foreign_field' from each side of the relation (Student and
University) and that's it.