[TYPO3-mvc] Replacing/exchanging a field if a specific extension is loaded

Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer thasmo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 01:16:33 CEST 2010

Hello folks,

what's the usual way of swapping a TCA field
to a more advanced field, if a specific extension is loaded?

Imagine there's a TCA field 'author varchar(255)' where someone could
enter the author's name. But now if e.g. tt_address is installed, it
would be cooler to have a 'select' field to choose an address/contact from.

How could I solve this the best way?

The main concern I have, is about the SQL definition and the naming of
the field. Should I call the field 'author_name' if the extension is not
installed and call it 'author' if it IS installed?

Are there any best practices?

Thanks a lot,
Thomas