[TYPO3-templavoila] Re: TemplaVoilà maintenance support

Alexander Schnitzler typo3 at alexanderschnitzler.de
Tue Mar 17 14:28:45 CET 2015

Hi Andi,

> Hi Alexander it would be nice if you could explain this a bit more in detail.. Until now none of those new templating stuff can reach near to the usability and functionality and stability of Templavoila.
>
> How is the connection with the framework for templavoila? Why not getting both running much better together and extending the already existing templates with new templates.

I don't really get your question here. Which connection of what framework do you mean?

> As announced by Joey Themes will be probably quite costy in future so that former TV customers actually do not intend to switch to gridelements but rather stay with TV and than if this won't be continued leave TYPO3 at all. The responses we had currently especially becauae of this extended 4.5 support was, that people still see much to much problems when they would change to flux - here they not really see the benefit as translations are way more complicated than in TV and every month there are new changes which not seldom cause the loss of some work and needs template adjustments over and over all the time.
> With gridelements it is similar as the benefits are actually not those they proclaimed and again it needs a lot of custom work to adjust and keep up with their development and what most don't like is the fact that newest versions are often needed ie by themes but not available due to that  crowdfunding stuff.

Well, I used all of these approaches in real projects meanwhile and I can't say that that one solution is the best. I must say that all current approaches, including templavoila, have their very own strategy and personally I like templavoila for its stability. But I am also very unsure which extension to use once the next project is ahead. So, what I want to say is, that using templavoila is a very personal decision and it has ever been. And as long as the core does not provide the one and only solution for proper templating I am pretty sure this small war will continue.

> What about reviving TVfW in a WEC style to get TV supported by lotsof templates and FCE and building a Theme Store for those templates! As The first ideas of kays Themes was actually made with TV and not with Flux and gridelements it might be possible to integrate that stuff too.

Actually I don't know what TVfW is and I hardly remember the times of WEC but that's not interesting here. Personally I am not the right guy to talk about themes with. I am a backend developer, working as a freelancer and do not sell websites any more. So, I lost track of what the people out there really need. In general I am open to these ideas, but I am not the one to build this in the first place.

> The store of Skins/Themes and FCE templates could help to fund your great work.

Unfortunately it's a hen-egg problem. As long as all gained knowledge about templavoila is lost in people's heads, that don't use templavoila and TYPO3 any more, it's hard to find people that can put a proper solution onto the current code base. Even if people understand the code, I doubt that anyone is interested in browsing through this mess. So, I'd like to prepare templavoila for the future first and let people decide what to do with it then.

> But most of all customers would need to see real perspectives and possibities and therefore it would be adviced to write down exactly this!

So, what do you expect from me? That I dedicate month of my life to templavoila and guarantee further development to gain clients' faith in the product again? In the end, the agencies need to decide which solution fits best for their clients and if this is templavoila, then they have the ability to support further development like it's possible with gridelements through crowdfunding.

> we ourself have no finacial resource but we can help to promote your ideas and to encourage people to support again TV

Thanks for your help!
Alex