[TYPO3-templavoila] TemplaVoilà maintenance support

Alexander Schnitzler typo3 at alexanderschnitzler.de
Mon Mar 16 16:56:48 CET 2015

Dear readers,

for about one and a half year now, I am one of two maintainers of TemplaVoilà and to be honest, we really had a good time in improving the current code base according to today's standards. If you compare the code base of 2013 with the one from today you will much more easier be able to browse through the code, understand what it does and find possible bugs.

I am very proud to say, that the whole api of TemplaVoilà is covered by functional tests, that are run on every commit with the wonderful support of Travis CI. Recently we also merged the very first unit test with quite some assertions to check that the language fallback mode behaves as expected. Expect more to come! \o/

Unfortunately there aren't just good news about TemplaVoilà. Still a lot of code is messed up and not understandable by people who didn't study the whole concept of TemplaVoilà first. That's keeping possible contributors from contributing and if there are pending patches, we very rarely find time to review and apply.

When speaking of "we", I mean  Wouter Wolters and me. In general I find a bit more time for TemplaVoilà because I am working as a freelancer, so I am not that much into regular work like others. However, that additional free time can't be exclusively spent on TemplaVoilà as I am involved in other projects as well and from time to time I need to do business stuff.

Well, I might be wrong but I see a new hope for TemplaVoilà. In contradiction to all these people who declared the extension dead, month and years ago, TemplaVoilà is pretty much alive and I'd like to keep it that way. Not only do I want to keep it as is, but increase the available time to improve TemplaVoilà even further. That, however, is only possible with financial support of you. Neither do I expect any of you to pay my Porsche nor my Penthouse, I just want to be able to eat, pay my rent, taxes and health insurance. I won't sum it all up in detail now because TemplaVoilà is not the only thing that should keep me alive. All I am asking for is some bugs to be able to free up some time and let TemplaVoilà keep pace of the many changes, especially with TYPO3 7 being around the corner.

Let's keep it simple. If you wish to support the TemplaVoilà development, please get in touch with me and we talk about support possibilities. kontakt [at] alexanderschnitzler.de

Thank you very much!

Best,
Alexander