[TYPO3-templavoila] TemplaVoila future...

Kay Strobach typo3 at kay-strobach.de
Wed Jun 12 10:06:59 CEST 2013

Hello Ron,

i'm working on a adapter for ext:themes to allow the usage of TVF Skins
with the new approach as well.

Would be glad to get in touch with you for that :D

Regards
Kay

Am 11.06.13 11:21, schrieb Ron Hall:
> Hello all,
>
> As a disclaimer, let me say that I have not thoroughly read every post
> in this thread. So, if I repeat some thought that has been beaten to
> death, forgive me.
>
> First, Tolleiv, thank you for your diligent work on this very complex
> extension. Both you and Dmitry before you have faithfully kept the
> extension running and improving. Many have benefitted from your work,
> and millions have used and will continue to use websites based on
> TemplaVoila.
>
> We currently use TemplaVoila for all of our TYPO3 CMS sites. The reason
> we use it has nothing to do with it being easy nor is it because we are
> not technically competent.
>
> In fact, I take issue with the notion that TemplaVoila is made for
> non-technical people. It is not. You cannot build TYPO3 sites without
> having at least competence in TypoScript regardless of the templating
> method you use. You can build TYPO3 sites (to a point) without being a
> PHP developer, but you still must be a technical person with skills in
> front-end code and TypoScript.
>
> I originally started building sites in TYPO3 with marker-based
> templates. This approached served me well, but I decided to move to
> TemplaVoila because of one feature. That feature was Flexible Content
> Elements. At the time, it was the only way for a site integrator to
> build custom content elements without building PHP-based extensions.
>
> Later we came up with the TemplaVoila Framework which some of you use.
> The overall strategy of the Framework is really based on front-end
> concepts centered around columns and modules, but at the time (and until
> recently) TemplaVoila was the only way to implement it.
> Last year, we looked briefly at fedext / fluidpages as a second
> possibility for our Framework concepts, but decided to defer a decision
> until it was given more time to mature. As mentioned in this thread, Kay
> is doing some interesting work along those lines now. We will certainly
> implement the Framework concepts in NEOS at some point.
>
> Currently we depend on TemplaVoila as the base for our templating, and
> expect to do so for some time. But we rarely actually use the mapping
> interface of TemplaVoila since our Framework feeds TemplaVoila the page
> templates and most of our custom content elements are done with the API
> from WEC Content Elements. This combination gives our site integrators a
> lot of flexibility to build custom functionality without involving our
> capable but overworked PHP developer.
>
> Fortunately, we do not require TemplaVoila to have new features. For us
> it has been feature complete for some time, but it will be important to
> find a way for the extension to be maintained so it will work with
> future TYPO3 versions at least through version 6.2 LTS and ideally
> beyond. Even with an adequate replacement for new development, the needs
> of legacy sites will keep it important for some time.

> [...]

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org

Answer was useful - feel free to donate:
  -
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KPM9NAV73VDF2
  - https://flattr.com/profile/kaystrobach