[TYPO3-templavoila] TemplaVoila future...

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Mon Jun 10 10:48:46 CEST 2013

Hi Dieter,

Dieter Bunkerd wrote:

> On 09.06.2013 20:50, Philipp Gampe wrote:
>>> next time, he's gonna tell us, that we are not allowed to publish an
>>> article, unless we attended at least two code sprints...
>>
>> TYPO3 is a do-ocracy: http://www.communitywiki.org/DoOcracy
>> So just go ahead if you think that some area needs work.
>>
>> Can can of course publish as many articles as you want, but for a buzz
>> account, you should have either written some blog posts before or be know
>> to someone who does who speaks in your favor.
>
> you didn't get the shafts of satire in my sentence, I believe...

I got it, but choosed to ignore it, because I wanted to stress the point
that nobody will keep you from doing something. I guess I was too distracted
with the other stuff to be precise about this.

> Jigal has already written, that there are many more ways to contribute
> to TYPO3, not only programming. Even simply *using* it, is one of them.
> It spreads the word, one more user, one more enthusiast. And not one
> less, and then the other one, as it happens now.

I never limited contribution to programming. Actually I would prefer
documentation over programming. See also my T3DD13 workshop:
Newbie documentation (aims to overwork and consolidate the various
resources, create a strait structure that is easier to follow).

> You are young, you are enthusiastic and I believe you are very well
> skilled. But you lack in one thing which turns mediocre things into
> outstanding things, and this is called *experience*.

That is bad argumentation "ad hominem". The validity of my arguments has
nothing to do with my person and does not depend on experience.
Experience just tells you about the likelihood of creating a valid
argumentation.

> It seems that you have never anything to do with these totally
> unnecessary people like *customers* (shafts of satire!)

Not really, besides the website I created and maintain on a voluntary base.
Although I try to talk with lots of people to reduce this limitation.

> who ask you
> questions on an almost daily basis: "Why still use TYPO3? This seems,
> according to the public discussion, to be a system which has no future.

If the customers questions your work, you may ask them why they hire you and
your expertise then.

> Even its developers seem to have very little ideas of the direction
> where this is going." You need of course to make a step *outside* your
> agency, community or whatever you stick with, in order to hear this.

I am not working in an agency.
In my real live I am a student and a system administrator (giving also first
level support in house) without any TYPO3 work. So I do know the other side
very well, as this is my real job.

> Now, what do I answer them? I was telling them, that TV will continue,
> even in TYPO3 version 6. Now it's not. Now they need to pay more, since
> they can't continue sending me ready-made HTML templates together with
> the CSS files. Now, a programmer or at least a skilled person is
> necessary, who costs additional money. Now, how do I convince that
> customer to pay more, just to get the same and for only one reason: To
> continue using TYPO3. I leave it up to you to answer that.

You misinterpret open source with free beer instead of free speech.

The whole problem of TV results in this misconception.

May I suggest Keith Curtis as a reading:
http://www.keithcu.com/

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!