[TYPO3-templavoila] TV Framework and multiple domains

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Tue Aug 2 03:43:53 CEST 2011

Hi Tony

we are working in one site with a set of 400 parallel websites all based on
one wec package (slightly modified to our needs). We are using sitemanager
to manage all sites. This works pretty well!

We modified the original branch to our needs and added i.e. the organiser
extension which has a lot of TS settings (unfortunately no flexforms).
Than we copied everything 400 times. All settings in flexforms were chsanged
automatically to the right PIDs. While all settings in TS constants and page
TS had to be made by had.

Therefore we extended the form used by wec_config so all changing PIDs could
be edited at one single place! This makes everything much easier. To do so
you only need to add those missing values to your template constance or
create an extension which holds them.

Additionally all Domain records had to be changed.
The User/Group, Database mount, Filemounts had to be changed.
The sitemanager constants for the customers had to bechanged.
The easiest and fastest way in doing this is exporting the whole via csv and
reimporting it after the modifications.

For us the biggest problem in doing this was actually the way TYPO3 is
copying branches.
This messes up a lot and is very unlogical.

be aware of this if you try to copy branches or even more than one branch.

i.e.
 Branch 1 -1
--- 1 - 2
--- 2 - 3
------2.1 - 4
------2.2 - 5
------2.3 - 6
--- 3 - 7
 Branch 2 - 8
 Branch 3 - 9

gets copied like this (descending PIDS)

 Branch 1 - 9
--- 1 - 8
--- 2 - 7
------2.1 - 6
------2.2 - 5
------2.3 - 4
--- 3 - 3
 Branch 2 - 2
 Branch 3 - 1

--------

It would be much much better if they would simply be copied in the PID order
ascending like in the original branch

============

Another problem came up with the framework for templavoila in combination
with the sitemanager
It is NOT possible to store the fileadmin/config/skin/skin1 etc in another
folder for each site !!!
This means wec_config is using always fileadmin/config/skin/ as the
customers skin folder.
Better would be to be able to set this value on a per Domain (branch) base!

Another problem you have to consider is security if siteadmins should be
able to edit also their templates. Therefore it would be advised that the
framework for templavoila would offer some sass functionality to modify i.e.
css values via TS without entering the template itself.Similar like it is
always possible to change the html calculated width values of a template via
TS. Unfortunately thos values don't have an identifier which makes them
UNIQUE per template and therefore always need to be changed anew after
changing the templates.

I hope this helps a bit

Andi