[TYPO3-templavoila] TV Framework - modules vs columns...

Ron Hall ronslists at busynoggin.com
Sat May 15 22:21:00 CEST 2010

Hello Stig,

> What is the main difference between modules and columns?

Columns are simply that. They do not have any decoration around them other than an option to put a CSS class for a rule under the entire group.

Modules have a header and footer on each module with the option of turning them off which makes an individual module look like a column.
http://templavoila.busynoggin.com/templates/utility-fces/modules/modules-the-concepts/
http://templavoila.busynoggin.com/templates/utility-fces/modules/options-demonstrated/

> Couldn't you do everything that columns do with modules (except for the bottom ruler)?

Yes, but modules have a lot of options and can be confusing to less sophisticated users.

> And also, why doesn't the modules have the bottom ruler?
> I have a design where the third of four columns is a box - like in the module. But what if I still need the ruler underneath?

Since modules normally are closed off with footers it would be highly unusual to need a bottom rule therefore I have opted not to build that in. You could accomplish that by using the section_frame field to supply a CSS class to the TYPO3 div surrounding the CE and provide a border with that. If you are using my QuickSite you will need to enable that field as I have it disabled in the default installation.

> Then I could have a 4 columns group, with a module group in the third column, but that's a lot of nesting when these 4 columns already are nested in a three quarter / quarter distribution.

Columns can be nested within a module (up to one level deep) but modules cannot be nested within columns or other modules or you will have problems.
http://templavoila.busynoggin.com/templates/utility-fces/modules/nesting/

I would probably need to see a image of what you want to advise you on the best way to achieve the look. If this is a one-time situation, you can probably use the HTML wrapper to do what you need. If it is to be used often in the site then you could program an FCE to handle that situation.

Personally, I very seldom use nesting as backend layout can become a bit of a challenge on small screens. But I do it when I have to.

> Thanks for a great framework! :-)

Thank you. I hope it is working well for you.

Ron Hall

Busy Noggin, Inc.
a web development agency

www.busynoggin.com
templavoila.busynoggin.com

Twitter: busynoggin (general web tweets)
Twitter: typo3ron (for TYPO3 specific tweets)

Facebook: Keep track of Busy Noggin, Inc. by clicking "like" on our Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Busy-Noggin-Inc/114526831896689