[TYPO3-templavoila] Wahoo for the AOE Media extension to TV

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Thu Nov 6 07:53:59 CET 2008

Hi Steffen, Hi Dmitry,

>> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>>> i looked to the podcast this morning. The main thing is that it has a
>>> new content wizard, where you have categories and schemes for new
>>> content wizards with records.

That's something I find very cool. You may easily preconfigure many
extensions with TS but then you have to tell editors that a few fields
in the plugin's configuration do no need to be specified, because a
default setting will apply that "works". Great! But you have to tell
something to the editors and it only works if there is a single
configuration scheme.

>> But I did not like the complexity of configuration. If you have a
>> simple site with 1 or 2 FCEs, you do not need extra tabs
>> (categories, etc). People hate extra tabs when such tabs are not
>> necessary.

Good point. I agree.

>> It looks cool on the screen and it is good for really large sites
>> (like Cisco). But how many such sites are there?

I don't know but even for smaller ones it could be cool. An important
point is that I would like to use more FCE if I were able to categorize
them or sort them efficiently. But you're right.

> i agree that the more complex a site is the more such grouping is needed.
>
> The default should be as simple as possible, no categories, no tabs. But
> you can do if you define categories. So it fits to all users: simple if
> not needed, great if structure is needed.

As Steffen pointed it out, their work fixes a few bugs or missing
feature such as the problem of the question mark for the default
template. Having to put an image for it in TV is a hack that I don't like.

Anyway, I'm glad to read that Steffen will get the source of their
extension. It will allow you to fix those (small) missing features and
as you said Dmitry, perhaps keep it as an extension. I would be fine
with that.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3.html