[TYPO3-templavoila] Best practice - 1 DS, many TO

Joerg Wagner news.netfielders.de at digilog.de
Thu Aug 21 22:44:49 CEST 2008

Do you really need this many templates?
If - for example - your task is to have very similar templates, that
(again e.g.) only differ in the number of available columns, then you
should consider another approach:
Use just one page template, and then add FCEs that can be used as
content elements and that create different column layouts inside the
main template. If you are familiar with YAML have a look at how it uses
subtemplates to integrate into the main framework. The main YAML
framework would be your overall template, the subtemplates would be
realized as FCEs that create different floating column layouts. There is
even an extension (did not test it yet) that implements YAML with TV in
exactly this way. See http://yaml.t3net.de/Download.19.0.html?&L=1
(right now in German only).

Cheers,
Jörg.