[TYPO3-templavoila] Using checksums to determine template modification

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Thu Mar 23 00:54:25 CET 2006

Robert, Dmitry, etc,

I have a (hopefully) small feature request that I'd like to throw out
for discussion before filing something on the bugtracker or making a
patch.

Currently, the status of a template object is determined by checking the
modification date of its HTML template file.  If the date has changed, a
warning is generated.

We're creating quickstart-like packages based on TemplaVoila and running
into issues with this timestamp based approach.  Our template files
typically travel between several operating systems, version control, and
a zip or tarball archive before being installed. With this many
opportunities for a timestamp change, our templates always end up with
warngings despite the fact that the actual contents have not changed.

What do you think about basing the template object's status off a
checksum instead of the timestamp? If this doesn't add too much
overhead, I wonder if it might be a more robust solution.

Thanks,
Jeff