[TYPO3-templavoila] [OT] Re: Mapping rules in matters of class or id

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Fri Apr 7 13:38:21 CEST 2006

Hi!

Christian Vetter wrote:
> I guess I don't get your point then. Personally, I'd like to understand
> your position, but we can as well just leave it at that - I'll leave
> that decision to you.

My position is:
1. Having support for div:inner is ok. Generaaly, mapping rule can be
   very generic, for example:
	- div:inner
	- div:*
	- *:inner
	- div:inner, td:inner, span:inner
   They all are ok.
2. Having support for div#id:inner or div.myClass:inner is bad because
   it makes Ds dependent on the structure of particular template file
   and requires any other (updated, new, next version, ...) of templates
   have the same classes to work with this DS. This is wrong because the
   whole idea of DS is to make it independent from particular templates.
3. We could have such syntax in TO's Local Processing. TO is limited to
   a single file, but having such rules there helps to quickly map/remap
   this particular TO.
4. Best practices for mapping rules should be: "Make mapping rule as
   generic as possible to allow flexibility for future changes in
   templates. Avoid putting anything to DS that depends on the
   template".

I perfectly understand your point, this could simplify life for me too a
bit. But it will complicate future updates. This is why I do not want to
put this information to *DS*. It is all about *where* it should be, not
about usefulness of this feature. It is useful, no doubt. The question
is how to implement it without breaking separation between DS and TO.

Dmitry.