[TYPO3-Solr] Solr on Debian 7 Wheezy with tomcat 6/7

Michael Schams typo3.lists at 2014.trash.schams.net
Fri Sep 19 00:21:18 CEST 2014

On 19/09/14 03:23, Andreas Kiessling wrote:

>>> Please check your /etc/defaults/tomcat to see if theres a JAVA_HOME
>>> pointing to your old OpenJDK6
[...]
>> Thanks! Now I can continue testing... :-)
>
> You really got the current solr version running on Tomcat and Java from
> the Debian repos?

Not exactly the latest version: at the time of this writing (Sep/2014),
the latest version of Apache Solr is 4.10.0 [1]. Our current setup as
follows:

- Debian 7.6 Wheezy server
- Apache Tomcat/7.0.28 (from Debian repository)
- Oracle/Sun Java SDK [2]
- Apache Solr 4.8.1

The documentation says, "OpenJDK may or may not work" and that
Oracle/Sun Java SDK is recommended. I am not sure, if this is still
valid, but because of this statement, I generated Debian packages from
the upstream distributables of the JDK as provided by Oracle and
installed these (takes 5 minutes and is easy to update as required).

I use Solr 4.8.1, because this is a supported version in combination
with EXT:solr version 3.0.0 according to [3] :-)

Cheers
Michael

[1] http://lucene.apache.org/solr/
[2] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html