[TYPO3-Solr] Index gone after few days

Stephan Schuler Stephan.Schuler at netlogix.de
Fri Mar 21 11:32:37 CET 2014

Hey there.

I need to confirm this error. I pushed that kind of bug away for a couple of weeks now and had no clue about how to fix or even reproduce it.
When triggering the indexing run through the scheduler web UI, the time zone of the garbage collector is the very same as when indexing records. That was kind of hard to track, because you really need to do CLI debugging -- and you need to have equivalent hosting and development environments when it comes to time zones. My regular environments have just always set "Europe/Berlin" to both, CLI and CGI. Only one private hosting environment of one of my customers had UTC for CLI. Some foreign PHP5.4 package for SLES. Don't know why there CGI and CLI are different, and I don't know who to blame for that ... unfortunately, I really want to drive over and at least ask him why the hell :)

I really don't know how to solve this error properly.
We could either make the timestampToIso method return the "1970-1-1T00:00:00Z" value when 0 gets passed, without any conversion or calculation. Just "if ($value == 0)". That's pragmatic, but that's just an etch case. The real problem is different time zones for indexing and searching.
Or we could decide to pin Solr communication to a distinct timezone and make sure this gets used. That sounds to cover everything, but it might be problematic in other situations.

The mechanism being used inside of timestampToIso just "strips" the time zone information, so after having the string result, there is absolutely now information available about which time zone was used. I really cannot tell what's going on with this when it comes to different time zones because of just time zone related business logic. Might be the better thing to always convert input data to UTC (which is the case anyway because unix epoch *is* UTC by definition) and reconstruct local server timezone when processing query responses.

Well, time zones are always hard to tackle.

Regards,

Stephan Schuler
Web-Entwickler

Telefon: +49 (911) 539909 - 0
E-Mail: Stephan.Schuler at netlogix.de
Website: media.netlogix.de

-----------------------------
Steigern Sie Ihre Performance
Melden Sie sich an zum kostenlosen Webinar VMware / vSphere Operations Management am 01. April 2014 und lernen Sie, wie Sie Ihre Hardware effektiver nutzen.
Jetzt anmelden unter http://it-training.netlogix.de/angebote/webinare/vmware-vsphere-with-operations-management
------------------------------------
Microsoft Office 365 - Alles Cloud, ...oder was?
Erfahren Sie bei unserem Office 365 Event am 04. April 2014, welche Chancen Office 365 für Ihr Unternehmen bietet.
Jetzt anmelden unter http://it-training.netlogix.de/angebote/events/office-365-event

--
netlogix GmbH & Co. KG
IT-Services | IT-Training | Media

netlogix GmbH & Co. KG ist eingetragen am Amtsgericht Nürnberg (HRA 13338)
Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin: netlogix Verwaltungs GmbH (HRB 20634)
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 233472254
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Buchta, Matthias Schmidt