[TYPO3-Solr] No curl support in EXT:solr?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Mon May 20 09:49:26 CEST 2013

Hi!

Olivier Dobberkau wrote:
> i am unsure on why we did that, but it is a common misconception that
> allow ulr open is insecure.

Well, it can be more secure than it was but still using file_get_contents()
for fetching URLs means abusing the file functions to me :)

It is extremely hard to convince most hosting administrators to do that. No
way to convince ours at all, so no solr 2.8.x for us in the default version.

> i hope that ingo can explain what was the trigger to let curl support
> drop. as far as i remember it seemed that the curl support in TYPO3 CMS
> is/was not that robust in the needed context of crawling the webpages.

I am not sure either but I believe the problem is with t3lib_div::getUrl()
- it does not give back the diagnostics that Ingo needs. But it should not
be a problem to reimplement curl support directly in Solr. Also there is an
RFC in Gerrit (https://review.typo3.org/#/c/18439/) that fixes certain
issues with t3lib_div::getUrl(), which Ingo could hit.

> please propose some hooks and you will be able to extend the solr
> extension to use curl with your own means.

Well, curl support worked great in solr 2.5.x. We still use that versions
because it is rock stable for us. I am not sure what was so bad that
triggered removal of curl support. We use it for every site with solr. No
issues.

May be somebody has issues with curl. I believe those can be solved without
removing curl. When Ingo is back, could we discuss it? I have an approval
from my PM to make a patch for 2.8.x. The patch can come to the official
solr version. You will not have to spend your resources on that.

--
Dmitry Dulepov