[TYPO3-Solr] Short query terms

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Apr 19 15:47:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 19-4-2013 14:45, Sergio Catalá wrote:
> is there the possibility with solr extension that, when you just look
> for query term "hom", different results with complete words like "home",
> "homeless", "homesick" are displayed? For now, I always need to write
> the whole word to display results. I tried to look for this option in
> the wiki but I can't find it.

The configuration of the solr server if you installed it with the
scripts that come with EXT:solr are that only entire words are indexed.
This usually leads to better search results, especially because solr
already has some intelligence to find plural forms and other word forms
("home" also finds "homes", "look" also finds "looks", "looked").

You can change the indexing to use every sub-string of for example 4-12
characters, but that would lead to many undesired results ("arc" gives
you "searching").

If you use the autocomplete feature of EXT:solr your visitors will see a
list of words that begin with the characters they typed. This way it's
easier for them to select a good search term. The list is based on the
words that exist in the index, so only words that produce results are shown.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!