[TYPO3-Solr] Multiple websites on one server

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Fri Jan 28 11:57:30 CET 2011

Rik Willems wrote:

Hi Rik,

> Thanks for the link. This doesn't look too hard. From the text I can't
> think of a use-case for multi-core thing. Can you shortly enlight this?

In general: One core = one index (+ configuration) in Solr

For best practice you want to use a multi core setup for multi language
sites, one index per language. The reason for that is that, currently
you can't tell Solr of what language content is.

So when we first started out (and didn't know better) we put english and
german content in one index, that worked relatively well since the
languages aren't that different. It will stop working once you add more
"interesting" languages such as russian, french, asian languages...

In the index schema you define for text field types which language they
contain and thus, how they will get analyzed. You could of course put
all fields in the schema, once per language, add postfixes or the like,
making the fields redundant... that never felt good to us. So we
followed the one language = one index way. This way the field names are
the same for each index and we have a nice separation. We can also clear
the index for just one language if needed.

You can still index multiple sites into one index. That makes sense if
they are related to each other or share content. Otherwise I would
suggest to also set up one core per site.

best
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner
TYPO3 Core Developer, Release Manager TYPO3 4.2, Admin Google Summer of Code

TYPO3 - Open Source Enterprise Content Management System
http://typo3.org

Apache Solr for TYPO3 -
Open Source Enterprise Search meets Open Source Enterprise CMS
http://www.typo3-solr.com