[TYPO3-Solr] Synonyms and solr

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Mon Aug 15 17:52:56 CEST 2011

Am 13.08.11 15:23, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:

Hi Jigal,

> In the schema.xml file I read that synonyms are implemented at index
> time. Is there any reason to not activate them at query time too? If a
> synonym is added the index must be rebuilt to use it.

doing synonym resolution at both times doesn't make a lot of sense. So
we had to decide when to do it. After some experience we found that
usually synonyms are defined once in a project and then often do not
change anymore. So resolving them with each query would just be a waste.
Also, having the Index Queue makes it easy to re-index a site.

> Is the speed penalty of activating synonyms at query time so big that
> it's not activated?

It's probably not, but as mentioned it'd be waste... In general it also
depends on the size of your index.

Ingo

--
Ingo Renner
TYPO3 Core Developer, Release Manager TYPO3 4.2, Admin Google Summer of Code

TYPO3 - Open Source Enterprise Content Management System
http://typo3.org

Apache Solr for TYPO3 -
Open Source Enterprise Search meets Open Source Enterprise CMS
http://www.typo3-solr.com