[TYPO3-Solr] Solr on Windows...

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 18 13:02:38 CEST 2010

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for trying to get this working!
I can't give you access to the installation, because it's a local
installation.

Olivier Dobberkau wrote:
> Can you recheck http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat ?

I checked it several times, let me take you to each step and tell you my
modifications:

Tomcat on Windows
=================
Single Solr app
---------------
* Download and install Tomcat for Windows using the MSI installer.
Install it with the tcnative.dll file. Say you installed it in c:\tomcat\
JvH: Tomcat is already included in the XAMPP installation. It's
installed in D:\webserver\xampp\tomcat\
(see http://www.xs4all.nl/~dcbjht/typo3/solr/directory.jpg for directory
structure)

* Check if Tomcat is installed correctly by going to http://localhost:8080/
JvH: It works. No problems here.

* Change the c:\tomcat\conf\server.xml file to add the URIEncoding
Connector element as shown above.
JvH: Done

* Download and unzip the Solr distribution zip file into (say)
c:\temp\solrZip\
* Make the "solr home" directory called, where you intend the
application server to function, say c:\web\solr\
JvH: This is D:\webserver\xampp\solr\

* Copy the contents of the example\solr directory
c:\temp\solrZip\example\solr\ to c:\web\solr\
JvH: Copied them to D:\webserver\xampp\solr\

* Stop the Tomcat service
* Copy the *solr*.war file from c:\temp\solrZip\dist\ to the Tomcat
webapps directory c:\tomcat\webapps\
* Rename the *solr*.war file solr.war
JvH: Copied to D:\webserver\xampp\tomcat\webapps\ as solr.war

* Configure Tomcat to recognize the solr home directory you created, by
adding the Java Option -Dsolr.solr.home=c:\web\solr
           o either use the system tray icon to add the java option
           o or manually edit the environment script
c:\tomcat\bin\setenv.bat and add it to JAVA_OPTS
JvH: Edited d:\webserver\xampp\tomcat\bin\setenv.bat
(see: http://www.xs4all.nl/~dcbjht/typo3/solr/setenv.bat )
     * Start the Tomcat service
     * Go to the solr admin page to verify that the installation is
working. It will be at http://localhost:8080/solr/admin
JvH: This is going wrong:
HTTP Status 404 -

type Status report

message

description The requested resource () is not available.
Apache Tomcat/6.0-snapshot

> Or can you paste solr.xml?
There are two solr.xml's:
D:\webserver\xampp\solr\solr.xml -
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dcbjht/typo3/solr/solr_solr.xml
D:\webserver\xampp\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost\solr.xml -
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dcbjht/typo3/solr/tomcat_conf_Catalina_localhost_solr.xml

> where ist your solr home directory?
This is the directory where I copied the contents of example/solr to?
That is D:\webserver\xampp\solr\

Thanks again!

--
Jigal van Hemert