[TYPO3-caretaker] Syslog on each installation to be fetched into caretaker server

Martin Ficzel martin.ficzel at gmx.de
Mon Nov 29 19:07:24 CET 2010

Am 29.11.10 15:52, schrieb Søren Malling:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following proposal for a caretaker service:
>
> On each TYPO3 installation, a admin user got the possibility to add a
> note (syslog) if they change something. Example:
> Developer A logs in, and changes a TypoScript setting in extension
> xyz. Write a note in a log module and logs out.
> Next day, extension xyz stopped working and Developer B wonders why.
> He logs in to the central caretaker installation and find the syslog
> for that specific installation.
> Here he can see that Developer A wrote the following note "Changed
> option A to 3 instead of 2"
> That just saved Developer B from logging in to the backend, finding
> the Log module and reading through a lot of log entries.

Hi Søren,

since caretaker does not aggregate and browse logs i would suggest a little different
approach. Maybe that fits your needs aswell.

Add a test like "Typoscript was not modified in the last 24 hours" that fetches the needed
informations from the ts and syslog tables and writes the apropriate messages. In the
result an instance with modified ts would go to warning (or error) state for 24 hours.

With this aproach you would have the aggregated changes in the caretaker testresult log
without modifying the caretaker core-infrastructure. You just have to add a new
testservice that can rely on the existing instance_operations as you intended.

Would that solve your problems?

Regards Martin