[TYPO3-caretaker] Syslog on each installation to be fetched into caretaker server

Georg Kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Fri Dec 17 20:05:20 CET 2010

On 30.11.2010 11:17, Søren Malling wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Our usecase is not isolated to changes in TypoScript, but also in
> flexforms, HTML files, css files etc.
>
> But your idea made me think, and I hope you will give some feedback on
> this thought as well:
>
> Create a caretaker services, getting rows from the sys_log table on a
> TYPO3 instance. On the instance, you can have a log extension, where
> you "reserves" your own type for the "type" field in sys_log. In the
> caretaker service configuration, your can configure what levels of
> sys_log entries you would like to have it return.
>
> Am I still moving at a spot, where caretaker isn't ment to go?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Søren Malling

Søren,
I dont feel the things you mention, are within the scope of a
monitoring-tool like caretaker. We handle those changes in the following
way:
a) Code+Config-Documentation: All TypoScript is outsourced in files; all
HTML, CSS and TypoScript as well as extensions are versioned via SVN.
SVN-Updates to the Client-Server are done via EXT np_subversion.
b) Communication+Documentation: All changes to an Instance have to be
documented in our issue-tracking-system with info on who did what on
which instance and why.

In addition we cross-reference a)+b) via Ticketnumbers and
SVN-Revision-Numbers.

Just my 2cents,
hth, regards georg