[TYPO3-BLE] BLE, core and HTML5

Fabien Udriot fabien.udriot at ecodev.ch
Tue Aug 9 12:40:54 CEST 2011

Hi Patrick

> As you might know I'm working on the accessibility part for the
> frontend, mostly css_styled_content. The people at the BLE made clear
> they are very interested in the use of HTML5.

We must be turned toward the future, I agree.

> As TYPO3 core we need to be backwards compatible to older browsers, like
> IE7. But does this count when HTML5 and CSS2+ is used? HTML5 works good
> together with CSS2.1, but the support of HTML5 and CSS2.1 in IE7 is very
> poor and not really usable.

What part of HTML 5 will be problematic in your eyes? I am assuming Structural tags
IE7. Or even worse, will not be rendered at all!?

Could we have a fall back solution to conciliate both worlds?

E.g.
http://www.webdesign-gm.co.uk/news/web-design/html-5-tutorial-workarounds.html
http://sroucheray.org/blog/2009/10/html5-support-workarounds-and-fallbacks/#html5-tags

> So my questions to you are:
> What is more important here? Older browser support or proper HTML5
> output with CSS2+? We have always focused on the support for older
> browsers, but this stops the progress of TYPO3 regarding the use of
> HTML5. Do we tell our clients when they use HTML5 in TYPO3, older
> browsers are not supported, or do we adapt the HTML5 output, so it still
> will work in older browsers, which means the output is not using HTML5
> at its full glory? Where do we draw a line?

We need also to think of mobile devices which will become more and more common. But I would be more
confident as they mostly rely on modern rendering engines.

Fb.