[TYPO3-performance] Scaling TYPO3 horizontally

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Wed Jul 31 20:13:00 CEST 2013

Hi Ernesto,

Am 09.07.2013 23:34, schrieb Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]:
> Steffen Gebert schrieb am 29.06.2013 10:38:
>> nginx for SSL termination in front of varnish works also very well.
>>
>> typo3.org uses nginx also as proxy for http in front of varnish. I'm not
>> fully convinced of this, but the good thing is that people causing
>> excessive load can easily be blocked (and new nginx version also offer
>> rate limitations).
>
> But then I wonder:
>
> Why use varnish at all? nginx is a load balancer, reverse proxy *and*
> SSL endpoint all in one. And it's pretty fast already. What benefit is
> added by having an additional component in the already complex stack
> (Varnish)? Just to get 1% or 2% of "even more" performance?

We are using Nginx mainly for SSL offloading, which wouldn't be possible
using Varnish alone. Although possible, we are not caching anything on
the Nginx server. All content (HTTP + HTTPS) is passed through to the
Varnish server.

Nginx also offers some more nice possibilities like locking of certain
IPs, just like Steffen already mentioned. Since we have one Nginx server
in front of many web sites, this allows us to maintain such
configuration from a central place.

The other nice thing is that we are now also able to move around the
backend servers easily (imagine that in case of a system outage, we need
to provide a replacement in a different data center and cannot wait for
DNS caches)...

Greetings, Michael

--
Michael Stucki