[TYPO3-performance] Scaling TYPO3 horizontally

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Jul 9 23:34:49 CEST 2013

Steffen Gebert schrieb am 29.06.2013 10:38:
> nginx for SSL termination in front of varnish works also very well.
>
> typo3.org uses nginx also as proxy for http in front of varnish. I'm not
> fully convinced of this, but the good thing is that people causing
> excessive load can easily be blocked (and new nginx version also offer
> rate limitations).

But then I wonder:

Why use varnish at all? nginx is a load balancer, reverse proxy *and*
SSL endpoint all in one. And it's pretty fast already. What benefit is
added by having an additional component in the already complex stack
(Varnish)? Just to get 1% or 2% of "even more" performance?

I've read similar concerns on several blog posts.

Since we seem to have a very "pro-varnish" fraction amongst the TYPO3
developers, I would like to hear an opinion on that.

Kind regards,
Ernesto