[TYPO3-performance] typo3temp mounted as tmpfs

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Nov 15 17:28:26 CET 2012

Johann Höchtl schrieb am 25.10.2012 11:34:
> Hello, I'm thinking about mounting the typo3temp directory to a tmpfs in
> memory. Has anybody tried this or has any ideas about possible problems?
> The server I'm using has plenty of memory, so I could set this tmpfs to
> consume up to 8G.

As Xaver already noted you won't get any benefit except extra problems
in case of reboots.

typo3temp contains static files which the webserver (Apache) needs to
deliver. This is pretty fast already and doesn't need much further
optimizations. File-Systems already do intelligent caching, so
frequently requested files will get delivered directly from memory. So
leaving lots of memory unused brings you the benefit of the kernel being
able to use if for these kinds of file caching.

Using the some of the huge amount of available memory for a Redis server
which you can use for Core caches (pages, pagesection, extbase
reflection, ...) will give you a *much* huger benefit, because it will
take the load off the usual bottleneck in a TYPO3 installation - the
MySQL Server.

Cheers,
Ernesto