[TYPO3-performance] PHP HipHop - Facebook

Georg Kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Wed May 5 23:15:10 CEST 2010

Olivier Dobberkau wrote:
> Am 05.05.10 14:10, schrieb Bernhard Kraft:
>
>> I have to counter that. As far as I understood HipHop it is inteded
>> exactly for this purpose. You compile all classes, includes, etc. into
>> one large executable which represents your application.
>>
>> You would simply have to recompile everything after installing or
>> removing an extension. Additionall the HipHop translator (I think that
>> what it is) adds and server to your application. So you run your TYPO3
>> without having an apache installed. It will become a standalone application
>>
>> This is very interesting as you could distribute a client-versions of
>> TYPO3 (I mean computer clients, not customers). When bundled with some
>> lightweight mysql (or using some kind of database abstraction) it could
>> be possible to distribute TYPO3 desktop bundle, for administrative task
>
> Hi Bernhard,
>
> We could put our Heads together at the Developer Days.
> Greetings,
> Olivier

Bernhard,

Interesting aspects, you bring up (T3 as a standalone application);

However,

a) HipHop + HPHPi where developed for PHP performance-reasons
and also for "a web-application" (Gesichtsbuch) and not for
standalone-stuff.

b) Given the advancements of the recent years in regards to bandwidth
and browsers I, still and again dont see any need for a CMS as
standalone application.

c) In regards to TYPO3-performance-improovements, I stick to what I said
before:
 > - 99,0% of all PHP-Frameworks are not facing the scaling issues of
FB, and
 > - 99,9% of all PHP-Frameworks including TYPO3 would much more benefit
 > from getting rid of the real performance-hogs within their frameworks
 > and their extensions.

regards georg

PS: cool choice you did in regards to your new office-space ;-)